Sunday, June 14, 2009

no sleep for a whole month?!











Well, as you know, our sweet and precious Isabella has finally come home and her medical problems have all gone away. However, my sweet princess, is unable to find comfort and unable to sleep. Poor thing doesn't sleep longer than 45 min at a time. Which means I don't get more sleep than that either. Even less, since I can't sleep during the day. We went to the doctor last week and he prescribed us with prevacid and a whole week later and we aren't seeing a difference. I think she slept 1 or 2 naps for about 2 hours but thats about the only change. I figure its not just colic since it the entire day and night. And I don't think it's GERD since she not projectile vomiting, isn't even really spitting up too much. I've changed my diet, we've tried all the tips and advice (sometimes unwanted) we've been given. LOL. We've swaddled her, we've rocked her, done the swing, the fan, the dryer, the car (which makes things way worse), the shushing, the singing, the sling (she absolutely HATED), the backpack, the vibration, the teddy that sounds like a heartbeat, everything you can absolutely think of. So, since the doctor says she's healthy, we have just got to learn to life with a very high maitenance little princess. Well, I do. Matt and the kids sleep thru it all. They don't even stir. Me? I wake as soon as she hiccups or whimpers. There is no drowning out the screaming. LOL. I know all babies are different, but I sure would have LOVED to have my first this high maintenance, instead of my fourth! Because my other 4 are up at 6 in the morning. In addition, they are all under the age of 4, so there is no resting, napping, and barely even any sitting down during the day since they need me so much. At least I have 2 of them potty trained, that does help. I just gotta make it to September. Then Hailey & Luke will both be in preschool and a couple days a week I will nap with Hunter and Isabella. LOL. So how is life with 4 under the age of 4? Well it is total chaos. And I love it. If you know me, then you know I am totally anal retentive about certain things and let me tell you, nothing shows you how to not sweat the small stuff when you have to hold going to the bathroom for hours at a time, and find it a luxury to sit down to eat during a meal, let alone have a meal. LOL. But I think it's also to my advantage because I am a super organized person. We have a set schedule for the day and for the week. Certain days we do certain chores, certain activities, run errands. Kids live by a predictable schedule from meals, to baths at the same time, as well as our little "circle time" and "work time." This isn't just for me, but for Hailey as well since autisitics thrive in scheduled environments and go completely nutso without it! I not gonna lie and say there aren't days when I wanna pull my hair out or when I just sit there and cry along with Izzy. BUT those days and times are quickly erased by all the joys that my angels bring. Like today, Hunter started dancing for the first time. I mean he's like bobbed his head and shook his hands before. But today he got up and started shaking his hands and waving his arms and head and moving in circles all to the beat. And the best part, he was laughing so hard he almost couldn't breathe. It was priceless! Another great thing, Hailey is learning to read!!! She has already memorized a ton of sight words, but she also taught herself the word "Mars" and "bird". For an autistic 3 year old, I am SO very proud!!! She is still autistic, and still struggling with lots of communication and social skills, but I am feeling very confident that she will be able to live a normal life. Just gotta keep working with her, she is such a brilliant little girl. As for Luke, well he is learning his alphabet, and numbers and is SO much harder to work with than his sister. She will sit there for hours doing flashcards and answering questions, and playing games as long as its learning. His attention span is all of like 5 min, which I'm thinking is probably typical for a 2 year old. But he humors mom and does his work time before running off to play. My favorite thing about Luke right now is his LOVE! He adores Isabella and "wants to hold it" everytime he sees her. And he is all about hugs and kisses now. All the time, to anyone who will let him and dish them out. He will hug and cuddle for hours! I know that this won't last long and I wanna relish in it as long as I can! What a sweetheart! He keeps his sweet loving personality, he is gonna make such a great husband one day! Matt is still in shock that we have 4 kids under 4 and repeats "I don't know how you do it" more than I can count. He loves wrestling with the kids and gets out all their wiggles and is still working his butt off. Right now he is working on building a playhouse for the kids, although the weather has put a damper on things (darn you afternoon madness) it's almost there. We just take it one day at a time, and I tell you, without spending so much time on my knees I wouldn't have made it this far. One of these days I will get some sleep and O it will be cherished!
The life of Isabella, poor princess.

2 comments:

Rebecca Fuller said...

Oh My. How sweet. You hang in there, girl. I wish we lived closer so we could take a shift for you!!! I remember these days. When my Braden was a baby, he acted much like you describe Izzy. When he was 2 months old. I just looked at Jon through blood-shot eyes, and said, "maybe he's just hungry". I made him a bottle (8 oz!!!) and he drank the whole thing! So I made anonther, and he drank that whole thing too. Then he went to sleep for the first time. I pretty much decided I had better start producing more milk after that. I was such a bad nurser.!!!

Becky said...

I don't know how you do it either! You are amazing. Hang in there, it has to get easier soon.